Sunday, May 13, 2012

NEW!! Reel to Reel Rips

I have not seen anyone posting Reel to Reel rips, and as you have noticed my posts are few and far between, mainly due to my time is limited, and most of my music on LP has been released on CD or Digital release.  Since I have started to try these rips for a bit, I wanted to mention the process.
My LP rips can be seen on this post.  The process is basically the same, except the need for ClickRepair is gone, reel to reel format has no clicks.  However, they can have some excessive white noise.  I have tried to reduce using electronic means, and I do not like the artifacts that it adds to the recording. Therefore the music is  left intact, noise and all.  On the 7-1/2 IPS (inches per second), the noise is well controlled, but the 3-3/4 IPS, the noise can become a bit excessive.  The rips were made on Pioneer RT-909 (see pic below) from 1979.  This was my second reel to reel unit, my first was a Revox B77, very well built and wonderful sounding, but not a lot of sex appeal, some may disagree.  It too was a 10" reel capacity unit, like the RT-909.  I sold the B77 for a great price, and got the RT-909 and has been working ever since.  The only maintenance was changing the drive belts and two capston rollers.
The Pioneer RT-909; a thing of beauty . . .

Without further adieu, I will start to post some of these rips.... I hope you enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment